Monday, September 7, 2009

Marathon Day At Assateague

All photohraphy by Janis Markopoulos
Shot of the day:


OMG what a stretch of wind on the Delmarva. Monday I woke up and my body felt like day 3 in maui. Bruised, battered, muscles cramping, sore, and ready for more!

This is the first session of the morning, and the wind was super light, around 5 knots.















With short, non-tropical waves you don't have much time to ride so you have to head up or down the line as soon as the wave picks you up in order to get the most out of it.









Above looks like a good ride but it is a take down. With no speed, being just in front of a wave when it breaks leaves you pretty vulnerable.








Having a lounge is crucial when uphauling which usually takes much longer than waterstarting. When the outside break takes you down, let the white water drag you into the lounge before you start uphaul attempts.

I turned to go down the line, and I promptly.....

Pearl


Ken busting over


river dance

Ken and his daughter Jenna

We where hooting and hollaring





Front below the boom works for me in light wind, helps me keep my weight lower

Soft and easy waves today




Hand work over glassy water

Crowded spot.

we had to uphaul all day long




We both paid some dues today. Ken blew out the top panel in his sail.....

serious carnage!

.....and I broke another chinook carbon extension..

I was down in the impact zone, but the surf was even that big. I was pretty shocked, and had to swim it in

gimme a break...

3 comments:

Jeff, aka Peconic Jeff said...

Wow, what a day! I like the shot of you going out between the chest-high waves (5th one down). Plus that pearling shot looks painful, ouch! Glad you scored, gotta love warm, windy days like these.

Catapulting Aaron said...

George, I've seen at least 10-15 of those carbon extensions break... just not worth it!

Looks like a fun day otherwise, though :)

George Markopoulos said...

Jeff, it was painfull. right forearm is bruised. Aaron, thats the second i've busted this summer.