Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Richard Greene Custom Race - GEM

**FOR SALE**
Custom hand-made Richard Greene Slalom board
A little history behind this board. Back in the day (mid 90’s) before they days of kiting, the locale crew mostly sailed at New Road.  

A couple of guys were really fast!  They both rode custom Richard Greene boards, GEM.  
Gem was an acronym for Green Earth Maui. Man those boards where the fastest boards around.
So I picked up the phone and called Maui, “ Uhm hello, Richard? My name is George Markopoulos. Nice to talk to you. Listen, man you’ve been building custom boards for two guys that I sail with here on the east coast. Oh really, you have the exact specs for those boards there in your records? Excellent. Well, I want you to build me a faster board. Cost is no concern, hehehehe”.
Long story short, Richard Greene did build me a board, and in my opinion, it was, and probably still is one of the fastest board around the Delmarva.

The board is in great shape: brand new straps, two custom handmade race fins by Maui Fins.

The board is super stiff and light, weighing in at approximately 16 pounds (thats including straps and fin and deck pad). I’ve since gotten away from slalom sailing/drag racing, and I primarily sail in the waves and bump-n-jump conditions. For the past few years, we’ve had the board in the house, propped up against the wall as art (does anyone else do that?).
The front straps are set up on the rails for maximum speed. I’m telling you this board is a rocket ship.
If speed is your thing, this is your board. Hook in and hold on! Email me if you’re interested. 

No comments: