Sunday, April 25, 2010

Richard Greene Custom Race Board For Sale

 

A little history behind this board. Back in the day (mid 90’s) before kiting took the weaker of our kind, the Dewey Beach crew mostly sailed at New Road. Well two of the fastest sailors there were Alfred DuPont and Bruce Sheppard.

Now I don’t know that their speed was due so much because of skill (they were certainly good sailors) as much as it was their equipment. They both rode custom Richard Greene boards, GEM.

Gem was an acronym, I believe, for Green Earth Maui. Man those boards where the fastest, sexiest looking boards around. I definitely had board envy, and was frustrated when they continually passed me.
So if you can’t beat em, join em right?!

So I pick up the phone and call Maui, “ uhm hello, Richard? My name is George Markopoulos. Nice to talk to you. Listen, you’ve been building custom boards for two guys that I sail with here on the east coast, their names are Al DuPont and Bruce Shepherd. Oh really, you have the exact specs for those boards there in your records? Excellent. Well, I want you to build me a faster board, one that I can smoke them on. Cost is no concern, hehehehe”.

Long story short, Richard Greene did build me a board, and in my opinion, it was, and probably still is one of the fastest board around the Delmarva.
The board is in great shape: brand new straps, two custom handmade race fins by Maui Fins which are autographed by the man himself Bjorn Dunkerbeck.

This is the fin i use when super powered up, the phone intended to provide scale

The board is super stiff and light, weighing in at approximately 16 pounds (thats including straps and fin and deck pad). I’ve since gotten away from slalom sailing/drag racing, and I primarily sail in the waves and bump-n-jump conditions. For the past few years, we’ve had the board in the house, propped up against the wall as art (does anyone else do that?). Well coming off the heels of the very successful post last week in where I sold pretty much all of my old gear, I think it would be a shame to not at least find a home for her.

The bottom is un-painted  to save on weight.

The front straps are set up on the rails for maximum speed. I’m telling you this board is a rocket ship.

If speed is your thing, this is your board. Hook in and hold on! I paid over to 2,000 for her. I'll let the right sailor have it for $800. That includes the straps and fins. Trust me, if you’re in the market for super light rocket fast slalom board, you gotta consider this board! Email me if you’re interested.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

George,
GEM is Greene Epoxy Maui.Good luck with new store in Fenwick!
Alfred duPont

George Markopoulos said...

Thanks Al. Let's work together to promote board sports on the Delmarva