Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Custom Built Windsurf Board Rack

Caveat: I'm am not a professional carpenter.  I just needed a good storage solution to this mess below. 

Ever since I sold my Naish autographed windsurfing van, all of my gear has just been spread out across my garage floor, driving both me and my wife crazy.
Not the most efficient use of space

So after several years, I finally built my custom windsurfing board rack.  Here is what I did.
Yes, you CAN try this at home.

 Begin with two 4x4x10 posts. Locate the studs and then mount them to the wall of your garage with
 5 1/4 toggle bolts.  The benefit of toggle bolts:  The rack becomes easily portable if we move.
Then you get your hardware. I used 1 1/4 inch flooring flanges, and corresponding PVC elbow
The elbows screw into the flanges
Get yourself several lengths of PVC pipe
Now cut your pvc pipe down to lengths that correspond to your board width(s)
starting at the bottom, use your wood screws to mount each cross support
And here is the finished product. Note i ran out of flanges, so I amd still adding one more spot at the top
Email me if you have any questions.
LIVE2SAIL

4 comments:

MillardFamily said...

How well would it work for wider boards? Would the arms start bending?

George Markopoulos said...

yes, i keep the wider boards on the bottom for just that reason.

Anonymous said...

Why not just use 3/4" iron pipe threaded on the flange end and surrounded by foam pipe insulation?

George Markopoulos said...

I've done pipe before, bit more costly. in hindsight, would probably do things a bit differently.